Jul 5, 2005

I Scream for Black Licorice Ice Cream!

Licorice. Either you love it or hate it. Fortunately, I LOVE it with a passion. I am a black licorice connoisseur. I am always on the hunt for the latest new product featuring black licorice such as licorice Altoids or the back-from-the-dead Switzer brand. I had heard a rumor from someone that I work with that Cold Stone Creamery had black licorice ice cream, but when I visited their store on Route 9 in Southboro--they didn't even know what I was talking about. In fact, the girl kind of looked at me funny like I might have suggested mixing cinnamon Listerine in their vanilla ice cream.

But this past Saturday the rumor was proved magnificiently true. I got the chance to try a scoop of black licorice ice cream (one of five new summer flavors in honor of National Ice Cream month) at Cold Stone Creamery. It was delicious and here's why:

I was expecting vanilla ice cream with bits of black licorice mixed into it because that's kinda what this ice cream place is known for--mixing in candy to their expensive creamy ice cream to make all sorts of crazy combinations. But their black licorice ice cream is completely smooth with no mix-ins whatsoever. Just a dizzingly fragrant scoop of grey-colored ice cream (or the color of wet cement-whichever is easier to imagine) that melts on your tongue and engulfs your senses in the joy of all things black licorice. I can't even describe the flavor or do it justice. It's just really, really good. I've never tasted anything like it.

Their menu also offers a combination mix with the black licorce ice cream called Black Tie Affair: Black licorice ice cream with Raspberries, Cherry Pie filling and Whipped Topping. I didn't even bother to give it a second glance. I would think all those other sweet tastes would crowd out the bouquet of this unique and special flavor.

But I can't lie to you and act like I'm not intrigued about the potential mix-ins. Personally, I would go old-school Choo Choo Charlie and mix in fresh chewy Good & Plenty. Or imagine what a milk shake would taste like using black licorice ice cream? I could try making that at home since I ended up buying a pint of it, but I doubt it's going to survive in my freezer long enough to be part of any personal experiments.

Doesn't matter. Something this good isn't going to last forever and I know black licorice ice cream is probably just about as appealing to customers as their other new flavor-Wasabi Ginger-so as long as I can enjoy it for the rest of July I'll be okay. It's the simple pleasures in life that are the most appealing to me--even if it leaves my breath stinky and my tongue black.

It was worth it!

1 comments:

Spence said...

Better sign-up for your birthday freebie:

http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/birthday/birthday_club.aspx

:d

Post a Comment