Dec 16, 2005

Joyce "Josephine" (Lucas) Sabulis, 91

One of my closest friends recently passed away and I wanted to share with you all her beautiful obituary recently published in the Worcester T&G.

Joyce taught me many things over the years. It's hard when someone you love so much is no longer living and you have to go on knowing that you can't share important things with them anymore. I was fortunate that she was with me back in 1990 when I got married. We remained friends throughout the years and she taught me some important things that I'd like to share with you:

  • Always have a goal. Joyce wanted to live to be 90 and she did!
  • Take time at the end of your day to enjoy a few sips of brandy. She claimed it helped the heart. I have fond memories of visiting her for dinner and enjoying a dainty glass of spirits. I was always amazed that such an old lady could handle such a strong drink.
  • Have faith. Although I'm not religious nor spiritual, Joyce taught me that sometimes it helps to put your trust in something you can't see.
  • There's nothing you shouldn't try at least once.
  • Travel any chance you get.
  • Practice patience for you don't know when you'll need it most.
  • Love what you do. Joyce never missed a day of work in her life. One of my favorite stories was during a particulary bad snowstorm she rolled down her hill to catch the bus to work.
  • Always look on the bright side. Joyce Sabulis was the most positive person I've ever met in my life. She could have given Dale Carnegie a run for his money.
I am so fortunate to have met Joyce while we were working at Lechmere. She taught me so much over the years and I'll miss her desperately.


Picture

WORCESTER— Joyce "Josephine" (Lucas) Sabulis, 91, of Mary Scano Drive, Worcester, and longtime resident of Boylston, died Friday, October 7th in Christopher House surrounded by her family and devoted friends.

Her husband, Alfred J. Sabulis died in 1981. She is survived by a son John A. Sabulis of Portsmouth, R.I., a daughter, Joyce M. Sabulis-Ripley of Attleboro, a sister, Veronica Sakalauskas of Worcester, two grandchildren, nieces and nephews. She was born in Worcester, daughter of the late Matthew and Kazimia (Rackus) Lucas and had lived in Boylston for over 50 years.

Mrs. Sabulis moved to Boylston in 1941, and ran her own alteration business from her home for many years. In the 1960's, she went to work for the former Cherry & Webb/Touraine Store in Shrewsbury, as Alteration Manager. Later she headed the Alteration Department at the former Jordan Marsh Department Store at the Worcester Center until age 60.

She retired briefly, and then returned to alteration work for the former R.H. White's at Lincoln Plaza of Worcester until age 70. Still not ready to retire, she worked part-time in sales at the former Lechmere Store at the Greendale Mall until her 80th birthday.

She moved to the Worcester area in 1998. She was a member of Saint Mary of the Hills Church in Boylston. Also a member of the Boylston Lioness Club, the Boylston Grange, the Boylston Garden Club, the AARP of Worcester, and she did volunteer work at the Worcester County Horticultural Society at Tower Hill in Boylston.

Relatives and friends are invited to visit with Joyce's family on Tuesday, October 11th from 4-7 P.M. in the Britton-Shrewsbury Funeral Home, 648 Main Street, Shrewsbury. Her funeral Mass will be on Wednesday, October 12th at 10 A.M. in Saint Mary's Church, 640 Main Street, Shrewsbury. Burial will be in the family lot in Pine Grove Cemetery, Boylston. Memorial contributions in Joyce's memory can be made to the Hurricane Katrina Disaster Relief, c/o the American Red Cross of Central Massachusetts, 2000 Century Drive, Worcester, MA 01606-1256. For directions and online memorial guestbook, please visit,

1 comments:

Catherama said...

I was sad to read about your friend Joyce's passing. She seems very cool and reminds me of my friend Lillian (who you may remember from my birthday party last year). She also taught me a lot about how to live and was one of the coolest people I've ever met. I miss her.
Sending you a big hug,
Cathy

Post a Comment