Jan 12, 2006

Two Buck Chuck


Tomorrow is indeed a special day for me, but it's not because it's my 36th birthday. My co-workers are taking me out to lunch to celebrate my birthday at Ruby Tuesdays and we're topping it off with a Two Buck Chuck run to Trader Joe's.

'Course they are quickly finding out that I must have been living in a cave all these years because I didn't have a clue as to what they were talking about. I know they picked the restaurant because there was a Trader Joe's next to it. They patiently explained to me that Charles Shaw wine is exclusively sold at Trader Joe's and the wine tastes really, really good. Some of them were just baffled that I had never heard of a Two Buck Chuck.

Have you?

Now I'm no drinker. If you opened up my cabinet, you'd see a big bottle of Midori and a newly acquired bottle of Anisette (Thank You Katie!!) along with a large bottle of Parrot Bay rum. That's about it. I don't like beer or champagne. I stick to what I know and wine is too complicated. I get weary of bottles that I can't just screw off or flip off with a bottle opener. Cork Screw? Forget it. I don't even think I own one of 'em. So I'm going to have to add one of those to my shopping cart tomorrow.

My co-workers tell me that it's not uncommon to just go into Trader Joe's and buy a whole case for $35.99. That's a boat load of wine for someone like me who gets a buzz-on from a wine cooler. I'm the kind of drinker that looks for the rebates on a 4-pack of Bartle and James....pathetic, I know.

In fact, to further drive home their suspicion that I've lived in a cave all these 36 years--did you know that a Roy Roger was the 'boy' version of a Shirley Temple? Seriously...who knew? I tried to defend myself by telling them that being an only child didn't allow for many social outings with boys who would want the masculine version of my ginger ale with grenadine juice.

But here's the thing. I made a mini-resolution that this would be the year for me to try new things and imagine possibilities...I think this Two Buck Chuck run is a great way for me to start off my 36th year.

Next on the agenda...my first hangover from a cheap bottle of Chuck.

0 comments:

Post a Comment