Jun 4, 2006

Twinkie Cookbook


Here's a tip: If you're ever having a bad day and you can't seem to pull yourself out of it, say the word 'Twinkie' five times in a row and I guarantee you a smile.

Let's try it together: Twinkie-Twinkie-Twinkie-Twinkie-Twinkie
There.
Feel better?

Now if you really want to sustain the smile, you should go out an purchase The Twinkies Cookbook. The name alone should inspire the kid in you. Forget peanut butter and jelly, forget the fluff and don't worry about the mess. This cookbook will change your life.

Check out page 10 which gets the party started by providing a recipe for Twinkie Sushi. It's very imaginative. I was going to make these for one of the guys that I work with for his birthday because he loves all things sushi, but one of the ingredients kind of scared me: 4 pieces green fruit leather, sliced into 1-inch wide strips. Hmmm. Would a fruit roll-up count as fruit leather? What the heck is fruit leather? But I digress...

I've never eaten a fried Twinkie or for that matter a chocolate Twinkie. But this book gives you all kinds of recipes including smoothies you can make with Twinkies and even Twinkie Lasagna. Garfield would pass out if he got a load of this gooey goodness.

I'm no cook, but I can tell you that sitting on my kitchen counter right now is a box of Twinkies. After thumbing through the cookbook, Spencer hit the local Target and bought us a box. I can't remember the last time a box of any Hostess product was actually in my house. (Somehow just having a box of Twinkies announces to the world that you've given up any hope of healthy eating. )

Contrary to popular belief, Twinkies don't last forever. The book says the shelf life is 25 days. I suspect I've had some food groups last longer than that in my fridge since I rarely cook. But I'm the sort of girl who gets real inspired by beautiful cookbook pictures and lists of common ingredients that tease me into believing that even I could cook. We'll see.

20 days and counting....

1 comments:

richtdis said...

i have to get this cookbook, my brother made me a deep fried twinkie it was awesome. Heather has bought the chocolate twinkies they are great, like moist devil dogs. i only have to say twinkie once and i smile they are delicious :)

Post a Comment