Dec 23, 2007

SantaLand Diaries

Spencer and I went to see a play called The Santaland Diaries based on the book Holidays on Ice: Stories by David Sedaris.

The play was a one-man show featuring Guy Oliveri who was simply amazing as the thirty-something New Yorker who finds himself employed as Crumpet the Elf at Macy's Department store during the holidays.

The Santaland Diaries is not your typical heart-warming fare of good cheer and joy. Instead it's a twisted account of one man's journey into retail hell dealing with people from all walks of life wanting that perfect photo with Santa and doing just about anything to get it.

Guy Oliveri is one actor I'm hoping to see perform again. Just as I get overly impressed when a waitress can remember my dinner order without pen and paper, imagine how blown away I was watching Guy perform on stage for well over an hour all by himself bringing one of my favorite David Sedaris stories to life right before my very eyes! I loved him.

The play was presented at The New Repertory Theatre in Watertown. Aside from some poor navigation on my part (going through a red light down a one-way street into oncoming traffic), getting there was a snap. We parked for free in a very huge parking garage that was adjacent to the theatre. The tickets were $35 for general seating that we had ordered online about a month ago. Since we arrived early enough, we had our pick of seats including front row. We chose the center of the second row and watched as the theatre filled up nicely pleased with ourselves for having chosen such great seats. The fold out chairs were surprisingly spacious and comfortable. The stage itself was very minimalistic: a swivel stool, a tall locker and a strand of Christmas lights. The play started promptly at 3pm and we were back in the car by 4:15pm.

We both had a great time and it was a nice way to slide into celebrating Christmas in just a few days.

Oh! The Santaland Diaries is running through January 1st and they've added some late night shows in case you want to see it. You can also read about it on Going-Boston as it was a recently featured event. I kind of feel cool having said I've been to an actual event featured on Going! since I never see myself even thinking about doing any of the hip stuff they suggest doing in and around Boston. As Terri would say, "For once I've got some cool factor."

1 comments:

Crumpet said...

Glad you liked it, and thanks for checking out my website.
Guy aka Crumpet/

Post a Comment