Apr 27, 2008

One of Those Days


Did you ever have one of those days where you could do absolutely anything and you end up doing nothing? Yesterday was one of those days. Spencer was working and I had the whole day to myself and I ended up doing nothing.



The day started off with potential. I plunked my fanny down on the couch and watched the last episode of LOST. I drank two full mugs of coffee hoping the caffeine would stimulate me to get my day started, but instead all it did was cement me deeper into the couch to watch Friday's episode of Battlestar Galactica. Then I watched two episodes of Aqua Teen Hunger Force...are you starting to see a slacker pattern developing?



My hopes for the day were to work on the computer and then maybe (just maybe) take down the Valentine's Day decorations because the last time I looked the calendar was dangerously approaching May 1st. Instead I retired back to the still unmade bed and did some reading which tired me out so much that I took a nap. I woke up a little while later and moved back into the living room to aimlessly surf the channels landing upon an interesting show on The History Channel about the 1000 plus miles of tunnels under Washington DC's sewage system. (What is it about poop that fascinates me so?)



Eventually I became bored and went back to bed for another snooze. By this point I was loathing myself because the day was quickly getting away from me. Spencer and I had tickets to see harpist Deborah Henson Conant perform at The Center for Arts in Natick, MA and I just wasn't in the mood to leave the house to go find this place for the 8pm show.



Doing nothing all day really does amount to something if you're not careful. What it amounts to is guilt over wasting a perfectly good day (and half the blessed weekend) feeling sorry for yourself because you don't want to do anything except sit and stare.

Around 3:30 I started to get motivated. I cleaned up the kitchen table and hung up jackets that were strewn across chairs. I put sneakers away in the closet and loaded up the dishwasher. I folded my Linus blanket on the couch and made the bed. By the time Spencer got home, the house was tidy and I was making him some Ooodles of Noodles soup.



Unfortunately this better late-than-never burst of activity couldn't shake a bad mood and I had to admit to him that the day didn't go so good. But I rallied and we eventually found our way to Natick for the 8pm concert.



The performance was amazing and I was glad that I finally managed to climb out of my self-imposed fog. Having to be somewhere without the possibility of dodging it is a good motivator. I've heard that if you're in a bad mood you're supposed to plaster a smile to your face and eventually you'll feel happy.



I think Saturday was too overwhelming for me. I had so many things that I wanted to achieve that I ended up doing nothing. It makes perfect sense. Inactivity = Inactivity. Laziness begets Laziness.



The beauty is that there's always tomorrow. I plan on doing some good things today like going out to lunch, doing some grocery shopping, returning a pair of pants to Steinmart and finally taking another nap. The only difference is this time the nap will be well deserved.

2 comments:

The S Word said...

And tomorrow, there is always calling in sick to work. Any form of inactivity beats THAT form of activity...as long as it isn't fishing, bumper sticker claims to the the contrary notwithstanding. :)

Mick said...

To quote one of your Most Favorite Movies: "I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!"

Post a Comment