Apr 6, 2008

What Are Words Worth?

Spencer passed along a website to me this morning called FreeRice. It was meant for my friend's dad Leo Coleman who is a ESL (English As A Second Language) teacher. I'm sure Spencer thought it would be a useful link for his ESL blog called Write-Write-Write.

The FreeRice site is pretty addicting. The premise is you're presented with a word and a handy button next to the word to hear it's pronunciation. You are given four choices of the word's meaning and if you get it right, the UN World Food Program donates 20 grains of rice on your behalf. (The site gives new meaning to the benefits of playing with your food, doesn't it?)

Under the Options section, you are presented with various choices of how to play this word game. You can determine your vocabulary level, be quizzed again on a word you get incorrect or reset your Total Rice Donation back to zero when you start the game again.

If you're in the mood for a little light distraction today, why not visit FreeRice.com and help feed the world.

No pressure or anything.

2 comments:

Catherama said...

I lOVE FreeRice.Com, and you are right - totally addictive. What level have you gotten up to? I'm happy to say I have gotten up to 50 but I usually am hovering at around 47 or so.

The S Word said...

Have you tried FeedAPuppy.com?

Post a Comment