Sep 13, 2008

Back to the 80's - Thank You Internet!

If Stephen King can regularly get away with doing Top 10 lists for Entertainment Weekly, then I'm sure my readers can indulge me with the following list of videos I just watched on this totally AWESOME website I found called 80's Music Videos:

  • Adam Ant- Kings of the Wild Frontier: I liked him back in the 80's, but mostly for his frilly shirts and saucy lyrics.  Strangely, I appreciate him more now that I'm all grown up.
  • Andy Taylor - Take It Easy:  I'll always have fond memories of Andy even though he stiffed me on the autographed guitar.  I can't believe how long his hair is in this video nor can I believe how much he ripped off the melody from Bang A Gong!
  • Annimotion-Obsession: I hated this song/video for the longest time because Friday Night Videos and MTV  played it over and over and over for like forever. Plus the chick looked like a skanky Barbie doll.  Now I appreciate the video for the hot guy in the Roman armor.  "What do you want me to be, to make you sleep with me?  Classic.
  • Arcadia - Election Day: I LOVED this off-shoot of Duran Duran.  Needless to say, Simon with jet black hair is disturbing and evil, but Nick's heavily cosmetic features make up for it.
  • Biz Markie - Just A Friend: Funny how even back then the ho's had big booties!   "I asked her her name and she said Blah, Blah, Blah." Watching this video still makes me want to shoot him in the face when he sings the chorus, but I still love me some Biz Markie.
  • Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy:  Whatever happened to Bobby? This should be my personal theme song.  I need to remember to add this to my iPod this weekend.
  • Boomtown Rats - Don't Like Mondays: this is the only song I know by Bob Geldorf aside from his whole massively successful Band-Aid project.  He looks pretty dorky in the video, but I still like this song very much to this day.  And strangely, I still don't like Mondays.
  • Chaka Khan - I Feel For You:  This video takes me back to my roller-skating Friday nights hanging out with Karen.  Chaka Khan is also rocking some serious hair in this video and I still can't help wishing Prince made a cameo in the video.
  • Dead Kennedys - California Uber Alles:  Ahh, to relive my punk days.  Jello B. had it going on with such a catchy tune.
  • Diana Ross - Muscles:  Didn't Michael Jackson have a snake named 'Muscles?'  And didn't he write this song?  I'll have to do a little more research and get back to you.
  • ELO - All Over The World:  Oh My God did I freak out when I found this video!   It's taken from one of my favorite movies of all time - Xanadu starring Olivia Newton John, Michael Beck and Gene Kelly. My parents loved Electric Light Orchestra and I grew up listening to my mom blasting their albums when she was in a bad mood which was pretty much all the time.
  • Hall & Oates - Maneater: Known for making some truly terrible music videos in the 80's, strangely I loved this one.  Thankfully John was still rocking his moustache and Daryl's moussed up hair looked perfect. "The woman is wild, a she-cat tamed by the purr of a Jaguar."
  • Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince - Mike Tyson: I had every one of their cassettes back in the 80's and still do. I loved their clever rap songs and enjoyed watching their playful music videos.  Will Smith, before he became known as 'Big Willy' looks pretty young and foolish in this video, but his charisma still oozes with future potential.
  • Olivia Newton John - Physical:  I had this 45 when I was younger and can remember how insanely popular this music video was for her.  Watching it now makes me chuckle at her leotards because she looks like she's wearing a diaper, but I couldn't stop looking at the outdated exercise equiptment.  That is, no digital displays and lots of levers to slide up and down.
  • Flash In The Pan - Midnightman:  I don't recognize this song or the video, but Spencer helped me remember that they wrote one of my mother's all-time favorite songs Hey, St. Peter.  She'd play it over and over and over.  Now I have to hope that it's available for download on iTunes.
  • Public Image, LTD - Not A Love Song: I never saw this video before, but I love this John Lydon project.  I'm reminded that I need to pull out their CD's and give them another listen because it's been a while since I appreciated their wit.
  • The Art of Noise - Close To The Edit:  This was a group that I discovered watching on Friday Night Videos back in the day.  I'd rank them up there with Laurie Anderson.  I really, really liked this video when I was younger and it still holds my attention some 20 years later.
  • Thomas Dolby - Hyperactive:  He looks strangely attractive in this video and I'll never turn the channel when one of his videos comes on.  Clearly a man who was ahead of his time.
  • Tom Tom Club - Genius of Love:  Another one of my absolute Top 10 artists from the 80's.  This was the song that Mariah Carey sampled in her hit song Fantasy.  I really appreciated that all of their music videos were animated and squiggly looking.  Favorite songs are Wordy Rappinghood, Pleasure of Love and The Man with the 4 Way Hips.
  • Yello - Ooooo Yeah:  I never knew a music video existed for this song. To be honest, I always think of Ferris Bueller's Day Off when I hear this song.
So thanks for indulging me in my trip down memory lane.  Watching music videos when I was younger was a very big part of my life.  I wish I could go back in time to tell my younger self that I didn't have to sneak staying up  until 2am to watch Duran Duran's un-edited 'Girls On Film' video because in the future everything is preserved courtesy of the internet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment