Sep 28, 2008

I'm Falling and I Can't Get Up - Air Bags to the Rescue

Prop, a Japanese company, has invented a wearable airbag for their 30 million plus elderly population for the mere cost of $1400.00
The airbags are contained within somthing that looks like a fannypack. It weighs 2.4 pounds and if the vest's sensors detects you're accelerating towards the ground, the air bags will inflate in 0.1 seconds with 3.9 gallons of gas each  protecting both the hips and the head.  

Watching the video is pretty funny.  It reminds me of those silly trust exercises that Corporate America so loves where you're supposed to fall backwards and someone will catch you.  Just imagine one of the workers over at Prop being told they have to test out this airbag vest over in R & D.  "Ummm...You're sure this thing works, right?" 

Even though I'm making fun of it, I know from personal experience that if this product was available I would have bought it for my mother.  Towards the end of her life, she fell several times and it's a wonder she didn't break something. I support any device that is marketed towards protecting our elderly population.

My only question is what about the people who fall forward?

0 comments:

Post a Comment