Sep 27, 2008

Organizing My Life One Weekend At A Time

I always like to think of myself as person who is extremely organized in both my professional and personal life.  Lately I feel like the scales are tipping in favor of my professional life and I'm hoping to bring back a balance to both.

Spencer works every other weekend at the library which leaves me free to do whatever I'd like two Saturday's a month.  Today it's raining heavily and I really feel like all I want to do is stay in the computer room and hang out.  But I told myself earlier this week that today would be a perfect day to unpack the Halloween decorations and do a little organizing in the basement. My day is nearly half way done and all I've accomplished so far is to catch up on my inbox, read all my RSS feeds and watch the last episode of The Colbert Report.

I just glanced into the bedroom to see my beagle Minnie lounging on my side of the bed tangled up in a mess of covers and pillows without a care in the world.  She HATES the rain and goes into hibernation mode at the first sign of a rain drop.  I want what she's having: to do absolutely nothing today.

But I can't.  I just can't.  I need to exercise for an hour to achieve my weekly goal of 5x sessions.  The kitchen table needs to be cleaned off because I've got half the contents of my purse dumped out  out  on it's surface with store receipts, magazines and other little odds and ends that need putting away. I need to shave my legs.  The dishes need to be washed and the shower curtain replaced.  Not to mention my big decluttering project in the basement.  Sigh.

I've read somewhere that if you've got a big decluttering project, you should set aside a specific amount of time to do one area in the house and do nothing else other than the task at hand.  I could do that, but when it comes to decluttering I develop temporary A.D.D. I find myself flitting around from one thing to the next without much focus or I completely throw myself into the task and won't stop until it's done.  Half way points stress me out!

But since Spencer is coming home at 4pm and I want to spend the rest of my time with him, I've got 4-1/2 hours to get something done.  I'll probably get on the treadmill because exercise has a tendency to kick start me and right now I think that's what I really need today. The cup of coffee isn't working it's magic.

Several of my co-workers were talking about what they were going to do this weekend since it's going to be a 100% washout with all this rain.  Sue said she's renting Season 1 of Heroes and watching it so she can get caught up on the storyline since the new season has begun.  Patty thought she might have a 'jammie' day which sounds wonderfully appealing to me.  Sharon is taking her daughter to gymnastics and hoping to introduce herself to a nice bottle of wine later in the day.

Me?  Well, I think we already know all the things I think I want  to accomplish today.  The challenge will be finding the motivation to shut off the computer, put on my sweatpants and get walking on that treadmill.

Rainy Days and Saturday always get me down.

0 comments:

Post a Comment