Sep 4, 2008

What A Difference 12 Weeks Make

I wouldn't believe it if you told me back in June that I would be able to stick to a weight loss program without little "cheats" here and there.  If you know me then you'll understand those little "cheats" could have consisted of an empty Sour Skittle candy wrapper or on occassion an empty pint of Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar ice cream.

To my surprise, I have faithfully been on the Jenny Craig weight loss plan since June 16th. I've lost nearly 18 pounds (Damn the precision of their digital scale!) which is the most weight I've ever lost being on a diet.  I'll say it again...18 pounds off of my 5'2 frame.  This weight loss amounts to 6 Macbook Air laptops or 20 cans of Baked Beans.

I have to admit that I've been struggling with my choice to continue on with Jenny Craig because the cost of the food is very expensive.  I see my weekly tally of purchased food at the center and it goes without saying that it kills me to spend $6.39 for a small piece of portion-controlled frozen lasagna - traditional or not. I walk the grocery aisles a few times a week stocking up on 6 oz. cups of fat-free yogurt, fruits, vegetables and Cool Whip because these are healthy choices to compliment my Jenny Craig menu.  But lately it's been getting harder and harder to walk down the aisles seeing all these 100-calorie packs of food.  They are everywhere.

But I think everything I've been feeling lately is a natural reaction to being on this weight loss plan for what I consider to be a very long time.  I recognize that I'm at a fork in the road to becoming healthier: I could drop the program and count calories on my own (using a free site like FitDay) or continue to press on doing the Jenny Craig program for a year to match my membership commitment I made to myself back on June 16th.

My biggest fear is that I'll convince myself that I can lose all this weight without the support and guidance of Jenny Craig and their pre-planned meals just because I've managed to drop what I consider to be a significant amount of weight.

I feel like a little girl begging her daddy to remove the training wheels off her bike.  Or as the Ting Ting's sing, "Shut up and let me go!"  

Last night I awoke around 3am because I needed to use the bathroom.  When I returned to bed and settled back into my delicous nest of pillows, I shifted my body to and fro a few times so that I was lying on my stomach hugging my many pillows.  It was as I was starting to drift off that it occurred to me that this was the first time that I got up in the middle of the night and returned to bed without feeling my heart speed up in response to the exertion it took to reposition myself in the bed.  Maybe losing 17.8 pounds made that much of a difference to my cardiovascular system?

Here's another example of progress. Tonight I went to the gym and did 45 minutes on the eliptical and 15 minutes on the treadmill.  Being able to be on the eliptical for that long is a major achievement for me.  I recall that when I joined the gym maybe a month ago, my goal was to do ten minutes on the eliptical.  I can't believe I actually did 45 minutes tonight!  I walked out of there with rubbery legs bursting with pride and personal achievement. 

I'm happy to say that I've drawn the rather obvious conclusion that I should keep using my training wheels and re-evaluate my progress in another three months.  It feels good to know that this time around, I challenged my own belief system with new and improved ways of taking care of myself and chose a path that I can continue to follow.  I apologize for sounding like Miss Oprah, but here it goes:  I want to live my best life and for me that means saying good-bye to my old life--one pound at a time. 

1 comments:

Mick said...

Kim - I am SO happy you are doing so well and sticking with it. I know it is not my money to spend, but I say if JC is working for you than STAY WITH JC! Your health is worth the extra money - just think of all the fattening crap food you would have been spending that $ on anyway! I always think it is good to have guidance and have someone who holds you accountable as well.

You (and your health) are worth the money you are spending on yourself, Kim.

Post a Comment