Dec 29, 2008

May The Sloth Be With You

I'm lucky enough to be on vacation from work until January 5th.  That's eleven solid days away from the office, but whose counting?  I've looked forward to this stretch of time off from work for months.  It's been the proverbial carrot dangling in front of my face during so many difficult days at the office when I just wanted the day to end so I could go home and relax.

Now that the Christmas break is here and underway, I thought it would only be appropriate to take a moment to reflect on what's been accomplished being that there are now only six days left of my vacation.

Things I Did On Vacation:


  • Took an afternoon nap every day
  • Watched Jericho Season 1 and 2 in a marathon session via my Roku Netflix player
  • Ate more than my fair share of homemade chocolate chip cookies and Pop Tarts
  • Continued to not exercise
  • Celebrated Christmas with the family
  • Put away all my Christmas gifts, for the most part
  • Charged up my iPod Touch
  • Updated some month end reports for work
  • Slept late every day
Are you seeing a pattern here?  I've burned through five days already and haven't really gotten anything of substance accomplished.  I've been living the life of a lazy person and it feels kind of weird.  

I feel like I should be doing something meaningful like painting our spare bedroom or going out shopping or organizing my sock drawer.  But I know that I'm being too hard on myself.  I'm doing exactly what people are supposed to do when they're on vacation - absolutely nothing.  Even though I know this, it still feels weird. I've got the shakes and only a To Do List will calm my nerves.

Pretty soon my remaining six days off from work will be down to three and eventually I'll find myself come Sunday afternoon being thoroughly dumbfounded that I didn't accomplish one real thing during Christmas break.  I must be mindful to squeeze out as much as I can in these remaining six days.

Screw it - I'm going back to bed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment