Feb 4, 2009

Just Call Me Angel...

My corporate parking sticker is black which means that 3 months out of the year I'm required to use the shuttle service up The Mountain to get to work.  My month's are February, June and October. 

Since I'm unwilling to get up earlier so I can get into work and nab a 'free space' parking spot up there on The Mountain, I find myself riding the shuttle up and down every day for my month.  

February 2009 so far has been really weird.  I've managed to ride the shuttle bus in the morning three-count them-three straight days in a row all by myself.  Each morning there hasn't been any fellow co-workers on the bus except me and the shuttle driver George.  It's weird because this never happens.

I mentioned to George this morning that I couldn't believe yet again that I had him and his shuttle all to myself.  He told me it's because I get to work too early, but I tend to doubt it.  I fear the recent corporate layoffs of 1000 employees has a little something to do with it, but that's strictly speculation on my part.

So tonight when I jumped on the shuttle a little after 5pm, it was just me and the shuttle driver.  Since I had the shuttle all to myself, I couldn't contain my excitement over such a strange anonomly. I chatted the driver up as we worked our way down The Mountain.  My small talk today was witty and inspired, but I know that's only because I had the shuttle driver all to myself and didn't have an audience to overhear our conversation.

After bidding her a  goodnight, I hopped into my car and turned up the defroster.  I pulled out my little tub of grapes and strawberries to snack on for the ride home and was just about to back out of my parking space when a woman approached the driver's side of my car. I rolled down the window and she asked me for help.  Could I tell her how to get to North Attleboro?

Lucky for her, I knew exactly how to get her back home.  (Can I just state for the record that this NEVER happens to me?  I'm always the one lying to the person begging off, saying, "Oh, I'm not from around here."  It's true that for the most part, I'm hopeless when it comes to giving directions because I can't visualize left and right in my head when trying to map out a route to get from Point A to Point B. It's simply a mental deficiency.)  

I came to find out that Rosette was from North Attleboro and had driven all the way to Wal-Mart in Natick to pick up curtains being held for her by a store associate.  (Poor Rosette thought she was picking up the curtains in Bellingham, but instead found out the curtains were really in Natick.  Given that she was half way there already, she pressed on from Bellingham to Natick and that's when she got lost and ended up in my parking lot in Framingham.)

Rosette thanked me profusely and I offered to swap cell phone numbers with her just in case she got lost again. I told her to follow closely behind me as we exited the parking lot and I would get her to the exit for 495 South.  "Oh, you're such an angel.  Thank you! Thank you!" she kept saying to me.  

She did a great job following me down Route 9 and I checked in with her one last time via cell to make sure she was going the right way.  Once again she thanked me for being an angel...

I had a rotten day at work and being able to help out this nice lady was pretty much the highlight of my day. If it wasn't for the corporate shuttle, I would have never been placed in her path tonight to offer my help.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's adventure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wal-Mart is in Framingham

Michelle P said...

Kimmy!

You are an angel to all of us at work every day! You're also a ray of sunshine!

:) M

Post a Comment