Jan 4, 2010

High Up On The Mountain Top



When I first started at my current job, I didn’t really give much consideration to the limited parking and consequences of the high altitude of where I would be working five days a week. (For those of you who don’t know, my corporate office is located on a big old man-made mountain in Framingham, MA.)  I didn’t bat an eyelash when I was told by Human Resources that I would have to use the company shuttle bus three months out of the year – February, June & October – due to limited parking on The Mountain.  No biggie.  However, after working in this building for the past four years I’ve come to the conclusion that they should have warned me about the weather on The Mountain instead of the parking.

Let me explain.

I’m a creature of habit. I park on the right side of our building in nearly the same parking space every day.  This means that at the beginning or end of my day , I leave the office and could potentially face exaggerated weather conditions due to the elevation on The Mountain. It might take the form of walking against whipping wind or severe sheets of rain.  Occasionally there’s a thunderstorm.  I’m a sturdy girl and unfortunately carry lots of extra bulk on my 5’2 frame.  But that wind has nearly knocked me off balance on more than one occasion. I am also not one of those people who is content to stand in the lobby hoping for a break in the weather. I’m decisive and often find myself pushing past the smart people waiting comfortably inside the building. I take my life into my own hands by pressing on towards the right side of the building in a mad purposeful dash to my car.  (So far I haven’t been struck by lightning.  I urge you to keep your fingers crossed for me to continue my safety streak with Mother Nature.  Thank you very much.)

But yesterday I had a little epiphany while walking our Beagle Minnie in the neighborhood and freezing my ass off.  I finally came to the conclusion that it’s more important to be warm and toasty than it is to look good in my Winter coat and crochet hat.  I knew my return to work was happening, whether I liked it or not, and I inwardly groaned thinking about how cold it was going to be on The Mountain this Winter.  After walking against the wind  yesterday, feeling my skin prickle in pain as the force of the biting below zero wind chill factor hit my face, I decided it was time to bust out my black bank robbery-inspired ski mask and go for it in the name of comfort.  No longer will I wear my crochet hat to match my Winter Hunter Green coat. I resolved to not be a victim this Winter to coordinating accessories.  It was finally time to embrace the fact that it’s not practical dressing cute in sub-zero temperatures.  It was also time to go in a different direction.

This morning I parked directly in front of the building where it seems a good portion of our population parks each day. I managed to get in the third row and about 20 parking spaces away from the entrance.  Sure it’s a bit of a longer walk than if I had parked in my normal parking space to the right of the building, but the benefit of parking front and center is that there is much less chance of being blown away by the currents of whipping wind.  I bundled up as tightly as possible and made my way in a steady path to the main entrance without feeling like the wind was going to knock me down.  I didn’t have to brace my body for anything…I just had to walk.

They say it takes 21 days to form a new habit.  I can’t guarantee that I won’t turn right like a trained monkey and head towards my old parking space at the end of my work day. But what I do know for sure is that for these remaining Winter months, I’m putting on my knit black ski mask and fashion be damned.

I’ll worry later about how I’m going to avoid being hit by lightning.

1 comments:

Catherama said...

Oh dear.. My mother could have told you that one. ;-)

Post a Comment