Jan 9, 2010

It's Kismet

Now that I can watch network television again (Why Thank You…DIRECTV), I’m able to DVR all airings of The Big Bang Theory. Sure I have Season 1 & 2 on DVD (Why Thank You…sister-in-law Katie), but my husband Spencer and I love this show so much that we can easily watch any previously viewed episode and always find something to laugh about together.


Last night we watched the episode called The Friendship Algorithm in which Sheldon Cooper devotes himself to becoming friends with the much loathed colleague Barry Kripke. Sheldon has heard that Kripke only lets his friends have access to The Open Science Grid computer on campus and Sheldon wants to have access to it. After repeated attempts to befriend Kripke, he decides to visit a bookstore to find a book on the subject of making friends. It becomes quickly apparent that there aren’t any books available other than within the children’s section. He finds a book called ‘Stu the Cockatoo is New at the Zoo” and proceeds to extrapolate a flowchart he aptly titles The Friendship Algorithm.

I absolutely LOVE this chart. I started laughing as soon as the scene began. So much so that I had to pause the DVR and once again tell Spencer how much I LOVE Sheldon and how much I LOVE this show and simply LOVE his flowchart. Spencer walks out of the living room only to return with a little surprise present. He hands it to me and surprise surprise…it’s a t-shirt with the image of The Friendship Algorithm!!!!! How cool. Maybe he was holding on to it as part of my birthday present, but I was so glad he didn’t wait. What perfect timing. After profusely thanking him, I went into our bedroom and pulled out a t-shirt that I had bought him also depicting a classic scene from the show: Rock…Paper…Scissors…Lizard…Spock.


In retelling this gift exchange to my friend Jillian over lunch this afternoon, she once again told me that Spencer and I were made for each other. It’s a wonderful compliment to my marriage, but I take it with a grain of salt because she’s single and bitter. This is coming from a woman who takes a personal day on Valentine’s Day so she doesn’t have to put up with the pukefest of chocolates and roses that are annually delivered to people who work alongside her in the office. Yea, I’d say she’s a bit jaded.

But in all seriousness, I know how lucky I am to be married to Spencer. This upcoming August is our 20th Wedding Anniversary which means we’ve been together for 24 years as I met him when I was a young lass of 16 and he was 21. He knew me before I knew how to drive. He knew me before I learned about a whole bunch of things.

He really does get me and it’s so weird sometimes for me to actually process that the life we’ve formed together is kismet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment