May 21, 2011

My Father-In-Law George M. Perry

My wonderful Father-In-Law George passed away at his home on May 12th.

The picture on the left is of George and my husband Spencer taken at a Perry Family reunion up in Vermont. George kind of looks miserable, right? That was George...he put up with anything for those he loved-even having a cheesy plastic lei wrapped around his head for a funny picture with his son.

It's been a really tough week for us.

I spoke briefly at George's funeral and wanted to post my Eulogy in case any of you are interested in what I had to say about George.  (I guess another reason for posting it on my blog is I don't want to let the file sit in 'My Documents' on my computer because doing so makes me feel the loss of George even more....)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the many qualities that I admired most about my father-in-law was his no-nonsense way of telling you how he felt in the moment. There was never a question of being left uncertain about the way he was feeling...if he was angry or irritated with someone or something...trust me, we knew. If you'll forgive me for saying this in the house of the Lord, he came up with some beauties as far as cursing goes. You could learn a thing or two if you listened carefully enough.


But behind his well chosen words, he was a man of action. I'm sure I won't be the first to tell you he showed his love for his friends and family by what he did for us every single day:  


He used to drive over to our house each Sunday morning to drop off a newspaper for me and every so often he'd surprise me with my favorite donuts. He taught me how to use a lawn mower after my own father died suddenly. Really...he was just always there...strong as an Ox.


Most importantly, he raised a loving son and gave me a sister-in-law who is like the daughter I never had.


I want to formally thank you all for coming together today to celebrate George's life. It's going to be a very hard day for all of us because we don't want to say good-bye.

0 comments:

Post a Comment